Sunday, April 15, 2012

Jackson, Ohio

hill top view of Jackson, Ohio

Main street - Jackson, Ohio

First Presbyterian Church of Jackson
I started my Jackson journey by arriving Saturday afternoon of April 14th.  My host family mother was busy at a rain barrel workshop at the church. We attended church the next morning at the First Presbyterian Church of Jackson, located next to the apple painted water tower.  (Jackson County use to be home to many apple orchards, the county still holds an Apple Festival the third full week of September.)
Rain Barrel Workshop
The Apple painted water tower


Me at the organ 
I was also able to sit behind the organist bench.  This is one of the oldest organs in the town.  Behind the choir is the pipe box which holds all sizes of pipes.
Can you see me in the middle?










Trillium recurvatum
Geranium maculatum

Trillium grandiflorum
I learned that the official state wildflower for Ohio is the White Trillium (the carnation is the state flower). I have several photos with wildflowers.  The white trillium, the toad trillium, and wild geranium.  The toad trillium's petals do not open all of the way and they curve inward.  Hence the scientific name, recuratum.  All three of these flowers bloom in the forests of Ohio, Michigan, WVa. and other similar ecosystems.  Here in Ohio you can find them in the month of April.
Notice we included the scientific name of each.  That is because my host family mother is a biologist, teaching high school students in a near by town.




We visited the Markay Cultural Arts Center.  Years ago it was a theater with live performances, then a movie theater.  It is now in the process of a renovation.  There is a photo of me sitting on the stage with three of the six bas reliefs in the background.  These are the originals that have been restored.  The depicted life in Jackson county in the 1940's.

the stage floor is being installed soon


at the Markay

me on the left, coal miner on the right
apple girl carrying basket and me

Later in the day we went to the parents of my host mother to put some compost on bales of straw where she is growing strawberries.  I guess strawberries love compost.  I didn't get too dirty. 


This area was settled many years ago by people from Wales.  The country side reminded them of home, plus coal mining that was taking place in SE Ohio was something they did in Wales so there was plenty of opportunities for these Welsh coal miners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment